Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Checkers: Making Multiple Captures

Question: I was playing checkers with an opponent online and I had two capturing moves available. The first was a straight line diagonal jump of two pieces. The second was a single jump of one piece.

 

The online edition of the game allowed me to jump one piece of the straight line possible double capture and stop there instead of taking the second capture and use my other piece to jump a different piece of my opponents. I still only captured two pieces of my opponents.

 

She protested saying it was an illegal move, however the game allowed me to make the move.

 

What are the rules pertaining to making a double capture with two different pieces of mine rather than choose to do a double capture with the one piece?

 

Your advice would be appreciated.


Answer: From what you describe it seems to me that there was a flaw in the game program. Under normal rules you can only move one piece each turn. And if you are jumping and capturing pieces, you must continue and make all available captures. You can't stop part of the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment